HEAD COACH: Mr James Goodwin
James Goodwin is a former National level swimmer and UKCC Level 3 swimming coach. James is a graduate of University of Wales Newport in Sports Coaching (BSc Hons and MSc). In addition to his role within the City of Newport Swimming Club, James is a regular coach for the Swim Wales Skills and Regional squads.
COACH (Performance): Mr Matthew Tutton
Former competitive swimmer and Welsh Squad qualifier Matt Tutton joined the City of Newport Swimming and Water Polo Club in January 2018.
Matt started his coaching career in Newport coaching Swimmers to National Level before becoming the Head coach of Abertillery Piranhas Swimming Club. As Head Coach Matt coached many swimmers to National finals, Welsh Squad placing’s, British Disability squad placing’s and to qualify for British trials.
Matt continued this progress at the City of Swansea Aquatics by; continuing to place many swimmers on Swim Wales National Programmes, Having swimmers swim at the ASA National Age Groups including a finalists in the pool and a Silver Medal winner at the ASA Open Water Festival 2017, and having the opportunity to work with and develop swimmers through their performance programme that progressed to qualifying and training with the Swim Wales National Performance Centre in Swansea and went on to be winning medals at Commonwealth youth games and European youth Olympics.
Matt is a self driven and ambitious Swimming Coach and entrepreneur of Swim-Tutton Ltd on Facebook, who seeks not only to drive the City of Newport Swimming and Water Polo Club forwards, but also to develop ‘World Class People’ capable of achieving in any walk of life.
3 fun facts about Matt:
1. Matt qualified for the South East Wales Regional Squad when he was a swimmer. He qualified in Breaststroke. He then swam Breaststroke in his next race which unfortunately was the 50 fc as he was still excited from his previous race.
2. Matt once put an inch long athletics starting block pike through his finger before racing the 200m sprint in Brecon when he ran for the Newport Harriers athletics club. At the end of the race everyone seemed to be red. Oops
3. Matt has made Welsh teams at some level across 3 different sports:
• Swimming: South East Wales Development Squad
• Athletics: Welsh Schools 100m 200m
• Wales vs the USA all stars in Motorcycle Speedway
COACH (DEVELOPMENT): Mr Alan Roberts
Alan Roberts is a level 2 swimming teacher and has a certificate with the N.S.P.C.C. for children in sport. Alan has been involved with the City of Newport Swimming Club since 1996, teaching and coaching the squads at all levels. Alan has coached children with various abilities including working with full able-bodied and disabled swimmers.